A national coach and parent education program designed specifically to elevate the culture of Catholic school-sponsored sports. Crafted by leaders in the fields of sport psychology, coaching education, Catholic theology and moral development, Play Like a Champion works in partnership with our schools to enable the athletic experience to be a missionary tool to develop our youth physically, socially, morally and spiritually.
Play Like a Champion Today is:
• Centered around principles of justice, tolerance, respect, and solidarity
• Designed using the best athlete-centered practices supported by research into character development and faith formation through sports
• Originating at the University of Notre Dame and collaborating with concerned faculty and coaches throughout the country
Play Like a Champion Today deals with tough sport issues and supports schools in promoting:
• Athletics as Character-Building to athletes and families
• Building teams as moral communities
• Champion-centered best coaching practices
• Responsible decision making
Central to the Play Like a Champion Today program in the Diocese of Covington are the “Coaching as Ministry” coach clinic and “Parent Like a Champion” workshops.
“Coaching as Ministry”
All coaches who lead a program or team in the Diocese of Covington are required to participate in a “Coaching as Ministry” training. Coach trainings are offered to high school coaches (grades 9-12) and youth coaches (pre-K – grade 8). Coaches are expected to attend a three-hour live training session. The coach then receives weekly “Coaches’ Notes” from the Play Like A Champion Today national office. Coaches shall be re-certified every two years using the Play Like a Champion Today re-certification module.
The “Coaching as Ministry” clinic prepares coaches to:
• Make sports fun for all players
• Develop the mind, body, and soul of their players
• Utilize the “GROW” approach in their coaching
• Re-define winning as the achievement of team-set goals
• Build lasting, strong relationships with parents
“Parent Like A Champion”
• “Parent Like A Champion” – Locations that have a sports program shall provide A Play Like a Champion Today parent session at least once per year for parents of grade four and grade nine students.
The “Parent Like A Champion” workshop helps parents:
• Navigate the high-pressured youth sport environment
• Assist their children enjoy their athletic experience and develop as both an athlete and person
• Know what to expect from a quality sports program
• Provide clear directions for ensuring supportive fan behavior
How to Participate in a “Coaching as Ministry” or “Parent Like A Champion” Training:
• Become compliant in Virtus.
• Sign up for a Play Like a Champion Today live training at www.virtus.org. Once you enter your user ID and and password, click on “Training” on the top bar. Then click on “Live Training” on left column. Then click on “Pre-register for an upcoming live training session in your area.” Once there, choose a session your session. Trainings include:
• Elementary Coach Training (for pre-K – 8th grade coaches)
• Secondary Coach Training (for high school coaches)
• Elementary Parent Training (for pre-K – 8th grade parents)
• Secondary Parent Training (for high school parents)
• NOTE: Protecting God’s Children for Adults is VIRTUS-only training.
For more information, visit www.playlikeachampion.org.
For specific questions related to Diocese of Covington Play Like A Champion Today programs, please contact Margie Schack at (859) 392-1515 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below are links to the bi-weekly Coach Like a Champion newsletter. Each newsletter helps to engage parents in the ministry of athletics so that children thrive physically, emotionally and spiritually.
Play Like a Champion maintains that achievement virtues are only virtues if they are rooted in justice
Below are links to the bi-weekly Parent Like a Champion newsletter. Each newsletter helps to engage parents in the ministry of athletics so that children thrive physically, emotionally and spiritually.